Thursday 10 March 2011

Procrastinate

Do you procrastinate in life?

But before I go on with today's topic, what is procrastinate?

For those whose not familiar with this term, procrastinate in my definition is a disease. In fact, it's very dangerous as it could corrupt a person, business or even an organisation.

Procrastinate is also a habit. It's a human behaviour whereby the human will tend to do less productive work such as their everyday job descriptions but concentrates on less productive thing such as attending a meeting without a specified goals and deadlines.

Other example of procrastinate is reading your emails, news and for some their social network page before starting their daily tasks.

In another words, procrastinate is a habit of putting less important things in life before the most important ones.

Well, one might be thinking or perhaps giving this reasons, "I read news, checked my emails early in the morning to know what's happening around me and hence I know what's going on around the globe and also keeping oneself up to date".

I know, I know. As this too is my explanations when I found out that doing the 2 tasks I mentioned earlier falls under the procrastination category.

But, according to Dr. Gina Hiatt (PhD), reading emails and reading news is procrastinating. She suggested that the 2 (reading emails & news) can be done later in the day perhaps before noon. That way, people will be more focus and thus perform tasks better.

I procrastinate. I have this disease. And I'm trying very hard to 'heal' it. On my defends, I said I read emails and news so that I'm warming up to do more challenging tasks later on. But sadly, no matter how hard I tried to defense my reasoning, I still fail to defend it. As deep down my heart, I'm slowly agreeing to the fact that reading emails and news and even the checking my social networks page did falls under the category of procrastinating.

Dr. Gina said, we can warm up by doing simple tasks such as opening the files we're working on. Let our brain flow with ideas and capture all the ideas as much as we can. We can also try to time ourselves by setting a target. Be it, 10 minutes, 30 minutes or 45 minutes. During this time, try to discipline ourselves by ignoring all emails, phone or even people. Fuh, this a lot easier said than done.

InsyaAllah, I will try my best to be a better person. I write this topic simply because I like to share useful info with others. Because I believe sharing is caring.

To those who have similar 'disease' as mine, all the best. Let's try to improve our lifestyle and become a better person.

Fara da Diva. ahaks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers